Friday 11 January 2008

Suspended Animation

I seem to have been floating outside my body today - trying to do normal things - whilst the world around me seemed to be falling apart.

We couldn't get in to the hospital to see Kirsty, as it's admission only. They are going to start to use a barracks in Penicuik as a new hospital next week and they're moving soldiers out and into tents. We went to Jenny's funeral this morning and throughout I couldn't help but think that this could be Kirsty. It seemed so selfish when Ruth was going through such a difficult time. As one of my best friends I don't think I was able to give her the support she deserved. As has seemed to be the case so often this week I was glad to get away.

I did go into school this afternoon - despite Graham saying that I shouldn't. I was glad I went in but it didn't lift my spirits in any way. The authority seem to be trying to issue instructions as to what the school should be doing but it seems like there's no one there to pick it up. Mr Docherty, our headteacher, is apparently very ill and two of the Depute Heads haven't been all week. Most of the teachers who are coming in (about 20 out 100) are staying in their rooms and only mixing with their close ffriends. No-one goes to the staffroom and I walked round the school without seeing anyone in the corridors. It doesn't help that the heating has been off for two days. The janitors haven't been seen since Tuesday. I tried to phone the local authority head office but the phone just rang out. Everything is breaking down in such a short space of time.

I've been reading some of the links which Graham has found on the web and put them up on the sidebar. I find it hard to read them but perhaps over the next few weeks they might provide some help.

We are just about to leave the house to try again to get into the hospital to see Kirsty. Graham knows one of the doctors and he said he might be able to get us in.

No comments: