Saturday 19 January 2008

Fear

I've been trying to work out why we seem to be reacting to this pandemic so differently from our forebears in 1918.

According to the news the absentee rate from work is running near 70%. They had anticipated 30%. The streets are empty, no one uses public transport and people are scared to go to work. I suppose in 1918 everyone was much more familiar with death. The First World War, lack of scientific health care, child birth complications and living conditions must have meant that death was something which was an ever present in people's lives.

I'm not claiming to be different from anyone else, until last week I had never seen an actual dead body. Now I've seen two - my daughter and my husband. I'm changing and I'm beginning to understand what it might have been like 90 years ago.

But it's this fear of death which seems to causing such fear. In our society we have become used to medicine fixing problems. If I am ill I go to the doctor and I am healed - it's just the way it happens. Except now it's different and we can't adjust.

People are just locking themselves in their houses and hoping to ride this thing out. As if by ignoring it it will go away.

Having just come through the last two weeks I know we will never be the same again, and that society will probably never be the same again. This is not something which you can avoid by shutting your door.

I've just realised something - I'm not scared anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with what your saying. Modern society has no apreciation of death and will paneic at the first site of a pendemic