Sunday 27 January 2008

An invitation

We had a visit after lunch from a Police Superintendent. Mike Harper explained that he had received a report from his officers about yesterday's incident at the school. Given the circumstances they would be carrying out an investigation but only once this crisis has passed. He explained that a number of officers had been armed to counter the growing breakdown in law and order - particularly amongst groups of young people who have been less affected by "it".

It is apparently a recurring pattern across the world and a decision was taken at national level to arm police for the duration. Mike explained that the council's emergency group - which has been badly hit by absences and illness - were trying to put support services together for young people specifically. They were interested in what I had been trying to do in school by setting up something for children who had recovered from "it". He asked me of I would be willing to work with the police and what remained of the education and social work services to provide a day centre for education and support in our area. He had authority to move us into the main school building and to provide a secure environment for learning and care. If it worked we would be used as a model for other areas. If I was willing to help the "school" would start tomorrow and would be publicised on the web and local radio and TV, with an open invitation to other (post-viral) teachers, social workers and adults to come and help.

I tried to clarify who would be leading this and he made it clear that this was a partnership activity where we would have to work together. I didn't really have to give it any thought and accepted immediately.

When he left the house half an hour ago I completely broke down - it's this roller coaster from one day to the next which I'm finding so difficult to come to terms with.

Having settled down a bit the next emotion I'm having to deal with is a crisis of confidence - can I make this work?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you can do it. If I lived in Edinburgh I would come and help you. Be confident and take strength from what you have already achieved.

Anonymous said...

I've been watching from the sidelines for while but just wanted to let you know that there are lots of us out here who are supporting you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your support. It means huge amount to me to know that there are people out there who care.