Wednesday 23 January 2008

Isolation

Last night had been the first time I’d heard laughter in the house since the New Year. Just having the chance to speak to another teenager face-to-face seemed to lift the twins. I came under real pressure from both David and Libby to let them come to school with me this morning – they go to another school (that sounds so ridiculous). I didn’t think I could push this at the moment given my bust up with Bob and Colin over Stephanie. I agreed that Stephanie could stay at home with the twins for the day while she tried to contact her aunts and uncle who live in England.

I’m definitely getting better, the dull headache that I’ve had since the weekend has lifted and I felt much more like myself – at least physically.

I’d spoken to my mum last night and she is still managing for herself – some woman! I told her that once I get some petrol I’ll be out to see her. I tried again to contact Graham’s mum’s residential home but it just rang out. I phoned her local council this morning but once again got no reply.

Once I got into school we all met up in the staffroom to make some decisions. Bob wasn’t there. He wasn’t answering his phone. Had I passed something on?

No-one felt comfortable to take the lead. Despite there being two Principal Teachers it was left to me to start things off – delegated roles don’t seem to mean as much in this world. I wanted to speak about Stephanie and what we should do for her. Colin was much more subdued than he had been yesterday and but he just repeated and repeated the guidance from the news and the local authority that all schools were closed to pupils to prevent infection. I’ve read all the guidance and I understand the reason for closing schools but what about children who have had the virus and recovered? Do we have to shut them out. I was accused of being totally self-centred just because I’d had “it” whereas none of the others had been infected. There was deep undercurrent of accusation running through the whole debate – I was a risk!

Once again from somewhere deep within I refused to back down – twice in two days! But even Alison who had been remarkably supportive of me up to this point thought we should keep kids out of school and that if I wasn’t happy with that that I should stay at home. Bob’s absence must have really unsettled her.

But I just kept thinking about Stephanie and all the other kids who might be out there just like her. Compromise – my greatest suit – came to my rescue when I suggested that we divide the school into two sections, the main school and a post-infection area for those kids and staff who had recovered from the virus. I immediately regretted suggesting the idea as soon as the words left my lips. Images of Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies flashed across my mind – we should be staying together not dividing ourselves. Too late to pull them back, as Alison particularly jumped at the idea. Before we could discuss anything else it was decided that I should take over the annexe area and that we could keep in contact via the phone. “It” had won again.

I moved out straight away – no hand shakes, no farewells.

In the annexe – which was absolutely freezing - I set up my base in a science room. I put on every Bunsen burner and for the rest of the day continued making my phone calls to staff.

Back home this evening we have all decided that we will go to school tomorrow. Stephanie has been in touch with a friend from school whose parents and sister had died. She had a mild infection at the same time and was now alone. I phoned her and invited her to join us tomorrow.

I can’t believe how excited the kids are – there is hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big mistake. Never divide your forces.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Stick with it.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought that your decisions and actions may be being affected by your grief, or perhaps naturally, your avoidance of it?
Your determination to be busily organising people and things strikes me as a very understandable way of avoiding deeply painful feelings.
I understand. I'm doing it myself.