Sunday 13 January 2008

David and Libby

David and Libby have been amazing over the weekend. For 14-year-old twins they’re incredibly different. Libby is highly focused, mature and dependable – David isn’t - but has an incredible sense of humour and zest for life.

In less than 48 hours they have taken on a role in the family, which up until now was left up to Kirsty. It’s as if she lives on in them if that doesn’t sound too crazy and I find that idea so hopeful.

David slipped into our bed this morning and gave us both a big hug – something he hasn’t done for four or five years. Libby made breakfast and kept busy answering phones and speaking to family friends and relatives so that Graham and I had some time. In an instant the trivial disagreements and fights which have characterised their lives up to this point have disappeared. I’m so proud of them.

I know I shouldn’t be thinking about this at this time but I’m worried about their schoolwork. We’ve heard nothing from their school – aside from the radio and press announcement that all schools were closed. Having been into my school last week I think I can understand why – there’s probably no-one there. We need to try to have some normality in our lives and schooling plays such an important part in that normality – but will schooling ever be the same again?

I’m going to bed now – I’m feeling a bit stiff around my shoulders. I’m praying that it’s just the stress I’ve been under over the last few days.

No comments: