Tuesday 22 January 2008

Child protection

We all talked last night about my need to go to work. I knew the twins were supportive of me going back but I was surprised by how adamant they were about my returning. I think part of it has to do with their own frustration about having been locked inside the house for nearly three weeks. They crave some sense of normality, some reconnection with their world. The web has been some help but they have both come to realise the need for company and semblance of structure to their day. David in particular has never been that keen on school but he needs some other outlet other than his Bebo site, his sister and his mum.

These thoughts were still on my mind when I got to school. The walk hadn’t been any easier but I was surprised when I met Stephanie, one of my favourite 4T class waiting at the school gates. She had seen me come in the day before from her flat across the street and had been planning all night to intercept me this morning. Without thinking I invited her into school and took her up to my room. As I shut the door behind us she broke down completely. Her mum, dad and granny had all died in the last few days. She was the only one of the family who had survived “it” and had called 999. I shivered when she described how the army had arrived and removed the bodies. They had taken her name and said that someone would be in touch but she hadn’t heard from anyone in since they were taken away last Friday.

I held her in my arms (this was child protection) until she began to calm down. I went to get her a cup of tea and a biscuit from the staffroom when I bumped into Bob. He had seen her come into school with me and completely lost it with me. “What is she doing in school- you know the school is closed to kids!” Colin came in and joined in. I don’t know how or why but for one of the few times in my life I didn’t concede or try to find a middle way. I told them both to “f**k off and take a look at what was happening to the world” and they wanted to stop an innocent and abandoned child from accessing one of the few things in her life to which she had any remaining ties.

Stephanie waited the rest of the day in my room while I continued to make the phone calls to staff.

We had another meeting at the end of the afternoon and both Bob and Colin apologised. I didn’t reply. We shared our information and agreed that we would meet again tomorrow morning to decide upon our next steps. Stephanie was never mentioned.

I know I shouldn’t have done this but I brought Stephanie home with me. She’s asleep in Kirsty’s room.

Graham I miss you!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a teacher not a bloody social worker! Start acting like one.

Anonymous said...

If you'd taught in a school lately sb, you'd realise that "social worker" is definitely in the job description for us these days - actually probably always was for the best of us.
All the more so just now.