Wednesday 9 January 2008

In shock

Yesterday was one of the longest days of my life. I think I've probably been and probably still am in shock.

I had a long chat with Kirsty on the phone this morning and she seems to be alright. One of the girls who were at the party has become ill and has been moved into intensive care. I’m just praying that Kirsty comes home soon.

Last night I couldn’t sleep and slipped out of the house and went for a long walk around the town. We live in a flat in the New Town so I was able to walk along Princes Street at 3.00am. It seemed strangely surreal the Castle was illuminated and the Christmas lights were still lighting the trees. Even with a gale whipping up the litter it was beautiuful. The occasional taxi sped along George Street and as I walked back down Hanover Street and along Herriot Row I thought back to just a few days ago when all was different.

I’d phoned the school yesterday. The pupils had been told to stay at home but staff were to report to work. Apparently many teachers hadn’t come in preferring to stay at home with their children. Of those who had come into work many had locked themselves in their classrooms and never ventured out. I spoke to the Head and told him I’d be back to work once our isolation period was finished. I know exams seem so trivial in such circumstances but I have great Higher class who can’t afford to miss any lessons.

I know I haven’t mentioned my husband yet but without him I would be going to pieces. He works for water company as an engineer and he told me today that many workers hadn’t turned up and their worried about how they can maintain the service if this continues.
There are apparently another 15 confirmed cases in the UK, although we don’t know where. Other countries have also announced cases but no deaths – they had all been in Thailand. Ten people have died in Thailand with another 250 suspected cases.

I spoke to my mother on the phone last night and didn’t let on what was happening to us – hopefully she won’t need to know.

No comments: